Anticipating your refund? What you should know

What to Know about Your Status of IRS Tax Refund DeadlineIf you e-file your tax return, you can generally expect to receive your refund within three weeks of the IRS accepting it. However, if you mail your tax return, expect four or more weeks. But delays can happen. Here is a brief summary of what to know regarding your refund.

Common causes for refund delays

These are the most common reasons for refund delays, according to the IRS:

  • Errors or incomplete information. It could be an error in a Social Security number or a mismatch with how a name is recorded with the Social Security administration.
  • Needs further review. In this case, the IRS may highlight known errors or fraud areas.
  • Affected by identity theft or fraud. This delay is very common and can be as simple as a thief filing a tax return using your Social Security number.
  • A bank or creditor refers your information to the IRS due to suspicious activity.
  • Certain credits. If your tax return includes either the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit, the IRS may want to double-check your calculation because these credits often contain errors.
  • Your return includes Form 8379 (injured Spouse Allocation). Because these returns can take up to fourteen weeks.

The status of your refund

If you expect a refund beyond the stated time frame and it does not include one of the items listed above, visit the IRS website’s “Where’s My Refund?” section.

To check on the status of your refund, you’ll need:

  1. Your Social Security Number
  2. Your filing status
  3. The exact refund amount

The “Where’s My Refund?” tool is improving every year. Your refund status is typically available within one to two business days of the IRS accepting your tax return. If your tax return is not found, a problem may require you to follow up.

What to know about your refund

Here are some more blogs we’ve published for more information:

Contact our RRBB advisors if you have any questions or concerns.


Get free tax planning and financial advice